Library and Digital Media Specialist 2021-2022
Curtis is seeking a Library and Digital Media Specialist to join a team-oriented, inclusive, and professional learning community. Curtis School is a DK-6 co-ed elementary school whose mission is to "develop, in every child, a sound mind in a sound body, governed by a compassionate heart."
We place an equal emphasis on academic, physical, social-emotional, and character education and instill a growth mindset modeled by faculty and staff who are the best in their craft. Curtis School Library is a welcoming place where the school community can gather, learn, create, share, and grow. The library provides a place to support student learning, foster a lifelong love of reading, develop essential research and informational processing skills, and allow students to seek guidance from trained information specialists. The collection houses an extensive array of print and electronic resources, and library programs present a wide range of activities and learning experiences for the school community. The successful candidate will work closely with the Lead Library and Digital Media Specialist under the supervision of the Director of Lower Elementary, to maintain a positive learning environment in the Library and Media Center and create a program that supports the love of reading and the acquisition of media literacy skills. The candidate must have excellent time-management, organizational, and communication skills, be innovative and creative in instructional planning, dynamic and adaptable to shifting work conditions, and open to feedback. A collegial personality and responsiveness to direction are essential traits, as is a love of working with primary school-aged children.
Curtis School is fully committed to a diverse faculty and student body. The candidate should possess an abundance of respect and sensitivity around racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and all differences.
Duties and Responsibilities
Include, but are not limited to:
- Working collaboratively with the Lead Library and Media Specialist to maintain and promote the library's mission and vision
- Teaching about half of the library classes
- Helping to maintain an inclusive library collection through ordering new materials and weeding outdated materials
- Keeping the electronic catalogue system (Destiny) up-to-date
- Organizing special library and maker events to promote excitement about reading and learning (book clubs, author visits, etc.)
- Filling resource requests from teachers, including print, electronic, and human resources
- Helping with all volunteer and community library events such as parent volunteer workshops, library book showcase, etc.
- Handling circulation duties
- Monitoring, maintaining, and organizing our Library Maker Space
- Integrating meaningful and appropriate use of technology within the curriculum and as a communication tool
- Supervising children during morning break, lunch and recess, and afternoon carpool
- Attending Back-to-School Night, Open House, faculty workshop days, grade-level and division meetings, relevant all-school events, and all mandatory professional development
A successful candidate will:
- Have a Bachelor's degree and will have completed or be currently working toward a Master's degree in Education or Library Science (preferred)
- Have experience working with elementary school-aged children in an educational setting, library experience preferred
- Use Google Suite and Microsoft software with ease
- Be familiar with Follett Destiny Library Management Software (training provided if needed)
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with both adults and children
- Be passionate about promoting the love of libraries, reading, and lifelong learning
- Have a flexible attitude with the ability to multitask
- Continually seek professional growth and development
- Participate actively in student and community life inside and outside the classroom
- Understand the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in education
- Provide a portfolio of teaching with examples of innovative lessons or projects that demonstrate creative and critical thinking and/or teach a demo lesson
Curtis School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status, or any other legally protected status in its employment practices.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject line of "Library and Digital Media Specialist Applicant" to: firstname.lastname@example.org