Our writing program prepares students for a world that values clear written communication and where writing is a critical part of expression.
Our writing program prepares students for a world that values clear written communication and where writing is a critical part of expression. We believe in the power of storytelling and the strength of supporting one’s own ideas. We teach the principles of good writing and how to both receive and incorporate feedback from teachers and peers. We encourage our students to take risks and explore their roles as writers through an assortment of genre studies. At every grade level, our students’ learning about writing is supported by the use of mentor texts and consistent vocabulary when discussing traits and craft. We foster organized, creative, and brave writers.Essential Questions
- Why do people love to write and read stories?
- How do we use writing to communicate and to understand?
- How do writers discover and value their voice?
- How do readers and writers work together?
- Students will participate in all stages of the writing process.
- Students will analyze mentor texts to understand a writer’s craft, learn new modes of writing and appreciate the purpose of the various genres of writing.
- Students will understand that the purpose of writing is to express oneself, communication information, persuade and/or entertain.