Business Office Staff Position - Assistant Controller
Curtis School is excited to announce an opportunity to join our unique organization as a Staff Member in our Business Office. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual who is looking to join a collaborative, inclusive and professional learning community as an integral member of our team. Curtis School is a DK-6th grade elementary school, whose mission is “to develop, in every child, a sound mind in a sound body governed by a compassionate heart." Please apply should your experience and interests align with the position and our mission.
Description of Position
The Business Office currently has three positions that directly report to the Director of Accounting. Our Business Office Team is responsible for Accounts Receivable, Financial Aid, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Payroll, Time and Attendance, General Ledger and Account Reconciliations, Banking, Fixed Assets, etc.
The Assistant Controller will be responsible for the following:
Accounts Receivable & Billing:
- Responsible for all aspects of relationship with third-party billing and collections provider SMART Tuition Services (Blackbaud) including billing of all tuition, fees and miscellaneous charges to family accounts (monthly, annually)
- Payment acknowledgment, reconciliation and upload of summary to Accounts Receivable to Financial Software System Blackbaud
- Balancing Sub Ledger Smart System to Blackbaud
- Monitoring aging reports, contacting families with significantly delinquent accounts, producing monthly reports for management review
General Ledger and Reconciliations:
- GL Accounting includes cash receipt entry, journal entries for month-end closings and reconciliation, banks, AR, other accounts as well as adhoc GL analysis
- Assisting with the preparation of schedules, back-up, analysis, etc., for the annual audit
- Annual set-up of application process on website Community Brands by SSS (Student and School Services)
- Sensitive communication with current and prospective families protecting confidential personal and financial data of applicant families
- Responsible for all aspects of maintaining the school’s relationship with its third-party provider system from Community Brands by SSS
- Projecting, tracking and analyzing allocated financial aid, by family, grade and income level, on Excel spreadsheets. Monitoring financial aid expense versus budget
- As a member of the Financial Aid Committee, you will be responsible for analysis of financial needs and reviewing supporting tax documents
The ideal candidate will have the following background and qualities, or comparable experience:
- Must pass a LiveScan background check in order to work at a California school
- Confidentiality, professionalism, honesty and integrity
- Clear and concise communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Proactive, detailed, with good organizational skills and strong time-management abilities
- Significant accounting or bookkeeping experience preferred
- 8+ years of experience and knowledge of financial operations or accounting (general ledger, account billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, purchasing) required
- Experience with business financial systems and related software (preferably SMART Tuition, Blackbaud, ADP, Excel)
- BA/BS degree required (Accounting highly preferred; Business, Math or Economics preferred)
- Responsibilities subject to change depending on department needs
Why Join Curtis?
Curtis School is a leader in education of children because of the exceptional employees that we invite to join our team. We offer competitive salaries for comparable positions at peer independent schools in the greater Los Angeles area. In addition, we provide a generous package of employee benefits that currently includes a generous 403B retirement plan and 100% employer-paid individual HMO, and a significant percentage paid by employer for PPO, health care plans. We provide 10 days of paid vacation leave, 7 days of sick leave, and 2 personal days annually, in addition to spring and winter breaks, to assist employees in maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Curtis School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or any other legally protected status in its employment practices. Curtis School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
About Curtis School
Curtis School is an independent, DK-6th grade coeducational day school established in 1925. The school is located on a spacious 27-acre campus in the Mulholland Corridor of the Santa Monica Mountains. Curtis School is accredited by both the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Please visit our website to learn more about us (www.curtisschoool.org
Qualified candidates are invited to send a resume and cover letter to Nancy Orr, Human Resources Manager, Curtis School, at email@example.com