The curriculum is designed to broaden students' cultural perspective, encourage creativity, and inspire students to deepen their study of the arts. Often, the activities are correlated with grade-level core subject areas and classroom themes. Students have two music classes in each six-day cycle.
Specifically, the DK-3rd grade music curriculum encourages all students to
- Sing alone and as a group, using a varied repertoire of music
- Perform on instruments singly and with others
- Improvise melodies, variations, and accompaniments
- Read and notate music
- Listen to, analyze, and describe music
- Evaluate music and music performances
- Understand relationships between music and other disciplines
- Understand music as an expression of history and cultures
Students in grades DK-3 perform in the Winter and Spring Concerts, as well as in the Grandparents & Special Friends Day Concert. Each grade also performs its own special grade-level show for both its division and for parents and guardians.