Curtis School is excited to announce an opportunity to join our unique organization as a Staff Member in our Business Office. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual who is looking to join a team-oriented, inclusive and professional learning community as an integral member of our team. Curtis School is a DK-6th gradeelementary school, whose mission is “to develop, in every child, a sound mind in a sound body governed by a compassionate heart.” We hope to hear from you if this description resonates with your interests and goals.
Description of Position
The Business Office currently has three Staff positions that directly report to the Director of Accounting. Our Business Office Staff Team is responsible for Accounts Receivable, Financial Aid, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Payroll, Time and Attendance, General Ledger and Account Reconciliations, Banking, Fixed Assets, etc.
This Business Office Staff member will be responsible for the following:
General Ledger and Reconciliations:
- GL Accounting includes cash receipt entry and journal entries for month-end closings and account reconciliations
- Assisting with the preparation of schedules, back-up, analysis, etc., for the annual audit
Accounts Receivable & Billing:
- Billing all tuition, fees and miscellaneous charges to family accounts, monthly and annually
- Responsible for all aspects of relationship with third-party billing and collections provider SMART Tuition Services (Blackbaud)
- Payment acknowledgment, reconciliation and balancing with bank and GL
- Monitoring aging reports, contacting families with significantly delinquent accounts, producing monthly reports for management review
- Annual set-up of application process on website SSS.NAIS (Student and School Services of National Association of Independent Schools)
- Communication with current and prospective families
- Responsible for all aspects of maintaining the school’s relationship with its third-party provider system from SSS.NAIS
- Projecting, tracking and analyzing financial aid allocated, by family, grade and income level, on Excel spreadsheets. Monitoring financial aid expense versus budget
The ideal candidate will have the following background and qualities, or comparable experience:
- Confidentiality, professionalism, honesty and integrity
- Skillful communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Proactive, detailed, with good organizational skills and strong time-management abilities
- Significant accounting or bookkeeping experience preferred
- 5+ years of experience and knowledge of business operations (general ledger, account billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, purchasing) required
- Experience with business financial systems and related software (preferably SMART Tuition, Blackbaud, ADP, Excel)
- BA/BS degree required (Accounting highly preferred; Business, Math or Economics preferred)
Why Join Curtis?
Curtis School is a leader in education for children because of the exceptional employees that we invite to join our team. We offer competitive salaries for comparable positions at peer independent schools in the greater Los Angeles area. In addition, we provide a generous package of employee benefits that includes 100% employer-paid individual HMO, and a significant percentage paid by employer for PPO, health care plans. We provide 10 days of paid vacation leave, 7 days of sick leave, and 2 personal days annually, in addition to spring and winter breaks, to assist employees in maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Curtis School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or any other legally protected status in its employment practices. Curtis School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
About Curtis School
Curtis School is an independent, DK-6th grade coeducational day school established in 1925. The school is located on a spacious 27-acre campus in the Mulholland Corridor of the Santa Monica Mountains. Curtis School is accredited by both the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The school has two DK classrooms, three classrooms in each of Grades K-2, four classrooms in each of Grades 3-5, and five home-base classrooms in Grade 6. Our learning community consists of 490 students and 68 faculty members. Please visit our website to learn more about us (www.curtisschoool.org).
Qualified candidates are invited to send a resume and cover letter to Dan Rothbauer, Chief Operating and Financial Officer, Curtis School, at email@example.com