The curriculum is designed to broaden students' cultural perspective, encourage creativity, and inspire students to deepen their study of the arts. Often, the activities are correlated with grade-level core subject areas and classroom themes. The students have two music classes in each six-day cycle.
Specifically, the DK-3rd grade music curriculum encourages all students to
- Sing alone and as a group, using a varied repertoire of music
- Perform on instruments singly and with others
- Improvise melodies, variations, and accompaniments
- Read and notate music
- Listen to, analyze, and describe music
- Evaluate music and music performances
- Understand relationships between music and other disciplines
- Understand music as an expression of history and cultures
Students in grades DK through three perform in the Winter and Spring Concerts, as well as in the Grandparents Day Concert. Additional grade-level performances are presented throughout the year for Curtis families.