Approximately 260 students are enrolled in the Upper Elementary division. Each of grades 3, 4 and 5 is divided into four classes consisting of 16 or 17 students. The 6th Grade is a unique, departmentatlized program that includes home base, electives, community building, study hall, and its own traditions, and prepares students to transition successfully to middle school.
The educational needs of the Upper Elementary students are supported by more than thirty teachers and several specialist administrators and staff members. The UE faculty and staff collaborate to design an environment and a community that
- Supports children's growth as creators, designers and problem-solvers
- Attends to the needs of every child as they confront new ideas and acquire new skills
- Helps children to reflect on their ideas, feelings and choices in their learning and their lives
- Teaches new skills and concepts that children learn to practice, demonstrate and share
- Engages students as active participants in a diverse community of learners
- Empowers children to meet challenging goals in their education and their lives
A culture of collaboration, compassion and continuing professional development in our faculty models and supports the development of these attributes in our students.
The core academic subjects of language arts, mathematics, and social studies are complemented by specialist classes in visual art, music/performing arts, science and athletics; a wide range of academic and artistic enrichment activities; and rich opportunities to serve, lead and learn, both at school and in our community. Our programs are united by an interdisciplinary commitment to ensure that students develop a strong foundation for future success as they become engaged learners and active participants in the school community.
We offer a well-balanced, technology-rich, and dynamic educational program that challenges both the intellect and the imagination in a safe, supportive and nurturing environment. Our students become young people of character who are also critical thinkers, effective communicators, respectful collaborators, and resilient problem solvers in their learning and their lives. Curtis School graduates leave us as whole, self-disciplined, ethical beings who are well prepared to pursue, confidently, the next stage in the journey of their lives.