Upper Elementary Lead Teacher
This is an exceptional opportunity for a teacher who is looking to join a team-oriented, inclusive and professional learning community as a member of one of our dynamic grade-level teams. Curtis School is a DK-6th grade elementary school, whose mission is “to develop, in every child, a sound mind in a sound body governed by a compassionate heart.” We hope to hear from you if this description resonates with your interests and goals.
Curtis School is seeking an Upper Elementary Lead Teacher. The Lead Teacher will be responsible for maintaining a positive and appropriate educational environment in their homeroom and creating a program that meets the intellectual and emotional needs of each child. The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in their grade level and the division director to build an engaging curriculum and to fulfill Curtis’s mission of “developing, in every child, a sound mind in a sound body governed by a compassionate heart.”
The ideal candidate will possess 3-5 years of teaching experience in an upper elementary environment and have a strong ability to collaborate and a willingness to contribute to a diversity, equity, and inclusion framework. The position will commence for the 2020-21 school year.
- Masters degree in education and teaching credential
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience at an independent school (grades 3-6 preferred)
- Experience teaching and/or ability and willingness to learn how to teach the following curriculum: Responsive Classroom, Balanced Literacy Approach (Benchmark Assessments, Guided Reading, Leveled Reading Groups), Reading & Writing Workshop, 6 Traits Writing, Singapore Math)
- Strong collaborator
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with students, colleagues and parents
- Evidence of lessons or projects that demonstrate the teaching of cross-cultural competency skills, and professional development in the area of diversity and inclusivity
- Strong writing skills and the ability to effectively communicate student progress via report card narratives, progress reports and feedback to students and families.
- Pursuing ongoing professional development and personal growth opportunities
- Experience with the following programs and/or technologies: SMART Board Notebook software, iPads, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, blogging platforms
- Must provide a portfolio of teaching with examples of innovative lessons or projects that demonstrate creative and critical thinking
- Demo lesson required
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Break and lunch duty
- Afternoon carpool duty
- Providing feedback to students via formative and cumulative assessments
- Writing narrative reports and providing grades for students you teach
- Participating in twice-yearly, student-led parent-teacher conferences.
- Collaborating with the grade-level team
- Participating in Overnight Experiential Education Trips
- Attending Back-to-School Night, Open House, Faculty Workshop Days, the Curtis Fair, Grade-Level & Division Meetings, and all mandatory professional development
- Participating in one or two admissions testing days
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at Employment@CurtisSchool.org